About Blogging Successfully:
Blogging Successfully is a resource run by me, Katie Hornor, to teach you how to turn your hobby blog into a stable income-earning online business.
Who is Katie Hornor?
I am a 30-something wife and mother of 5, an educator, missionary and an expat.
We’ve been living in Mexico for 10 years now, but we were never fully supported as independent missionaries.
After a ministry change in 2011 left us with even less promised support, we realized that we’d need to create a way to bring in a stable income on our own if we wanted to continue to live and minister here long term.
It was quite a stressful experience, never knowing from one month to the next how much income there would be, or where it would come from.
But we had a passion for the family and for home-education and I have a master’s degree in Education, so we got busy meeting the need for quality homeschool materials in the Spanish language.
It was many, many months of late nights, hard work and persistence, but the wonderful thing about building a curriculum and a blog to support the families using it is that this expanded our overall ministry reach, as well as helped to pay the bills.
We published our first set of curriculum, launched the Lemonhass and the Paradise Praises websites, started attending and speaking at both blogging and homeschool events in 2012, and never looked back. In fact, I remember telling my husband, Tap,
When we get to the place that this business earns a good income apart from ministry donations, I am going to teach others how to do this so they can experience the incredible freedom that comes with income stability as we have.
Blogging Successfully (originally ComoBlog) and The Blog Connection opened our doors in 2015 as way to make good on that promise.
Our online income tripled in 2015, and again in 2016 (as did our ministry reach). We’ve self-published over 40 titles in curriculum and educational resources as well as numerous courses. And we have been sharing our online business knowledge, strategies, and victories at Blogging Successfully for your benefit, helping hundreds of women move their blog from hobby to online business, just like we did.
The Best Part About Owning a Successful Business
The best part about owning a successful online business is not just the income. In fact, my definition of success doesn’t even have a $ price tag included. The best thing is that it gives us the freedom to do what we know we’ve been called to do, a ministry that brings us joy and points others to our Savior, and it gives us opportunities to invest in the lives and victories of so many other people. As a teacher, your victory is mine and it is such a joy to see YOU successful.
Investing in our marriage and in our kids is important too, and we love that we’re now able to take one or all of them when we travel to retreats and events, giving us quality relationship time, as well as instilling in them a love for the work and for serving others.
As you read through the site, and follow our podcast and social media, you’ll learn that I also love books, elephants, historic homes and palm trees. We just bought a 250 year-old home that we are restoring in the historic, coastal town of Campeche, Mexico, where we host some of our retreats. I have to pinch myself daily to be sure it’s real. Such a dream come true.
So Here’s Where I Get Personal…
What about you?
If you haven’t started an online business yet, don’t worry, you’re not alone and you’re not too late.
If you have a blog or have been blogging for a while without seeing any monetary return, don’t give up. You can see an income from it.
Spend some time exploring this site to get a sense of how to begin thinking like a business owner. I offer private coaching to a limited number of clients each month, we have a group coaching membership you can check out here. But at the very least you need to join our exclusive email training. Every email is packed with value. I give out all my best advice for free inside that training. I hope you’ll subscribe. You can do so by clicking the button below:
Making money with blogging is not a magic trick or fast and easy accomplishment, and it may not even all come from one source. But it is so much easier when a friend who’s done it walks along side. I didn’t have that in our first years in business, but I’d love to be that friend for you now.
Thanks for reading this! I can’t wait for you to join me and our community of 22K+ other aspiring and existing business owners.
Join our exclusive email training below and get the ebook “The Blogger’s Guide to Getting Started” FREE.
For Your Success!
Press Mentions & Interviews
- WAHM Success Story: An Interview with Katie Hornor (podcast) – Clothed in Scarlet
- How to Simplify, Start a Business, and Live Abroad with Katie Hornor (podcast) – Couple Money
- How I Run My Business From Mexico (podcast) – Personal Profitability
- How to Turn Your Hobby Into a Business (podcast) – The Robert Plank Show
- A Homeschool Mom Turns Hobbies into Income Streams (podcast) – The Balancing Act
- 3 Blogger Monetisation Lessons from Facebook’s Branded Content Policy Update – ProBlogger
- WAHS Expert Tips: How to Stay Motivated On Your Work-At-Home Journey – Work at Home Success
- 5 Tips for Cross Promotion with Other Businesses – Dream Fearlessly
- Why I work with a Virtual Assistant (6 Biz Owners Share) – Horkey Handbook
- Email Marketing Best Practices: 30 Tips from the Pros – Fit Small Business
- 11 Ways to Build Your Brand Online – CIO.com
- Facebook Branded Content Policy Change and What it Means for Bloggers – The Huffington Post
- The Money Making Blog Summit, 2017
- Katie Hornor – Founder and Editor-in-Chief
- Tap Hornor – President and Tech
- Donna Shenk – Project Manager
- Robin O’Neal Smith – Podcast Producer
- Dawn Mole – Writer
Other Sites in myPortfolio
- ComoBlog.com – blogging education for Spanish speakers
- ParadisePraises.com, a women’s inspiration blog & online shop
- Lemonhass.com – a Spanish site providing homeschool materials, support and encouragement to Spanish speakers worldwide
- TravelTheYucatan.com – a niche travel site dedicated to the Yucatan Peninsula, Mexico