I just celebrated a birthday, and upon reflection created this list of things that have had a huge impact on my life. If you want to hear the story of each one and their significance, check out episode #76 and #77 of For Your Success Podcast.
The Most Impactful Quotes
- Kent Chapman: God is not surprised
- Jonathan Chapman: If something is worth doing, its worth doing wrong until you can do it right.
- Theodore Roosevelt: Speak softly and carry a big stick. You will go far.
- Felix Zayas: Emotions are there to help you live life, they’re not there to tell you what life to live.
- Life’s too short to be ordinary.
- Michael Schoneweis: Wake up every morning and take the next right step.
- Robert H Schuller: What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?
- Be the bigger person
Books that Shaped My Life
- Dr. Seuss, – second grade poetry anthology – never stopped writing after that.
- Lois Gladys Leoppard, Mandie Series – learned much of my manners, ethics, respect for elders and treating people well through this series.
- Jim Berg, Changed into His Image – single greatest impact on my teen years, an in depth evaluation of the soul, with instructions for putting on the mind of Christ.
- Nancy DeMoss Woglemuth, Lies Women Believe and the Truth That Sets Them Free –
- Elizabeth George, Loving God with All Your Mind – let your mind think on what is true about God and about life, grasp and move toward God's purpose for life and trust the Lord in all things.
- Emily P. Freeman, Grace for the Good Girl: Letting Go of the Try-Hard Life – Emily invites you to let go of the try-hard life and realize that in Christ we are free to receive from him rather than constantly try to achieve for him.
- Melissa Radke, Eat Cake, Be Brave – a journey to find her sense of self-worth will help you rightfully believe in yours.
- Og Mandino, The Greatest Salesman in the World
- Andy Andrews, The Noticer; Sometimes, all a person needs is a little perspective – a unique narrative blend of fiction, allegory, and inspiration in which Andy helps us see how becoming a “noticer” just might change a person’s life forever.
- Paul Jarvis, Company of One: Why Staying Small is the Next Big Thing for Business
- L.B. Cowman, Streams in the Desert (devotional)
- C.S. Lewis, The Chronicles of Narnia series (allegory)
- Gilbert Morris, The House of Winslow series (early American historical fiction)
- Al Lacy, Journeys of the Stranger series (wild west historical fiction)
- Francine Rivers, Lineage of Grace series, Sons of Encouragement series (biblical fiction)
- Liz Curtis Higgs – Here Burns My Candle Series, Lowlands of Scotland Series (historical fiction/biblical parallel)
- Tim LaHaye and Jerry B Jenkins – The Jesus Chronicles (biblical fiction)
- Jerry B Jenkins, I, Saul (biblical fiction)
Most Influential Music
- I Don’t Know About Tomorrow
- How Excellent Your Name Is
- Bigger Than All My Problems
- Because He Lives
- God is there (The Wilds)
- Bow the Knee (Words and music by: Christ Machen and Mike Harland)
- My Life is Yours to Control (from the movie Coach)
- Almighty Unchangeable God (The Wilds)
- My Father Planned it All
- Perfect peace (The Wilds)
See the complete list of praise songs I love here: https://paradisepraises.com/isomplaylist
- Favorite country song growing up: Meet in the Middle by Diamond Rio
- Favorite movie song: A Million Dreams
- Favorite secular group now: Home Free
- Favorite singer now: Andrea Bocelli : Can’t Help Falling in Love with You
- Favorite Christmas song: Bing Crosby’s It’s Beginning to Look a lot like Christmas
The top 10 risks I've taken (and what I've learned from them)
Chef John Folse says, “Risk is the tariff paid to leave the shores of predictable misery.”
Hear my stories about each of these in the For Your Success Podcast episode #76 and #77.
- Traveling through Mexico solo as a college student
- Marrying Tap (16 years & counting)
- Moving to Mexico at 50% support (see our ministry site at tkhornor.com)
- Moving to Campeche to be “forever” in a small ministry
- Starting Lemonhass®, inventing the first ever literature-based curriculum in the Spanish language
- Starting Paradise Praises – what got you here, is not necessarily what will get you to your end goal
- Hiring sub contractors
- Starting a podcast – #ForYourSuccess in 2017, And #PreguntaAKatie in 2019
- Hosting first in history annual online summit for Spanish speaking homeschoolers, 2018
- Hiring business coaches – You want one who has done what you want to do either personally or with their mentees, and who has the education and the skill set to get you there. Someone who has taken the risks and learned from them so you don't have to.
“I have crossed every shaky dangerous bridge imaginable as an artist, so that I can hold your hand and make your walk safe.” – Barry Friedman